Fancy going for the handmade or homemade touch this Valentine’s Day? How about some easy shortbread treats? Make it romantic with a heart cutter or just go to the effort of making something yourself, and just think of the brownie points you will get for a maximum of an hours effort!
What you need . . .
– 8oz self raising flour
– 8oz soft margarine
– 4oz icing sugar
– 4oz cornflour
– 1tsp baking powder
What you need to do . . .
1. Cream together your icing sugar and margarine
2. Add cornflour, flour and baking powder
3. Mix together until crumbly and then forming into dough, you will need to use your hands to combine the dough together
Get your hands in.
4. Roll out and cut into shape on a slightly floured surface, not too much flour or it will dry out your dough, don’t forget to put a little flour on your rolling pin too (or wine bottle if you have no rolling pin)
You want to roll it to about this thickness.
As you can see if you have little ones at home they will love getting involved.
5. Place on a baking tray with greaseproof paper or a little flour on the tray and bake at 180oC for about 10 – 15 minutes until golden brown (depending on the size and thickness)
If you are making any small hearts make sure to keep an eye on them as they can burn easily and quickly.
Lift them out of the oven when they are golden brown and leave on the tray for about 5 minutes, they will start to harden a bit then carefully move them to cool on a wire rack. However if they haven’t really hardened then put them back in the oven for a couple of minutes and repeat the process I said.
6. Once cooked sprinkle with caster sugar and leave to cool or once cooled fill the middle of 2 biscuits with jam or Nutella and sprinkle with icing sugar.
And there you have it, quick and easy to make, they look good and taste even better!